Monday, May 12, 2014

Compass Rose

(Via Fine Art America)
     *Phew!* We've covered a fair bit of ground in the last couple of posts, haven't we? We started off by looking briefly at what makes life worth living. Next, we considered the unique approach to failure and success that is offered by Ecclesiastes. When we asked whether life should planned or spontaneous, we determined that it's all about mindset. Knowing that our stories end well and that everything works together for our good, we concluded that we ought to engage in wise efforts such as goal-setting, yet we should also adapt to life changes with confidence.

     If you're like me, then you've realized that this kind of adaptability is not usually compatible with strict, set-in-stone plans. There is a time for everything, including the detailed daily schedules that some people (including myself) love to create. However, the unpredictability of life calls most of all for guiding principles, or values. These values, like the points on a compass, can help direct us through the many course corrections that we will have to make in our lives.

     Christ tells us that there are two supreme values, two ultimate commands: to love God and to love people. These commands and those that stem from them are quite broad, though. In fact, we are actually provided with much creative and executive freedom. Thus, my friend, we are left with this happy query: Within the context of the love of people and the vitalizing love of God, what do we really want out of life?

     For example, here are my answers:

  • Service. Like many people, I want to contribute something to the world. Before I die, I want to leave a meaningful legacy--something that will glorify God, advance the Kingdom, and help others to live meaningful, fulfilled lives, as well.
  • Freedom. Specifically, I mean freedom of mobility. I want to have flexibility, and I don't want to tie myself down to unimportant things such as a big house, a nice car, a comfortable neighborhood, etc.
  • Learning. I want the opportunity for life-long learning. I want to continue pushing myself, and I want to continue researching, recording, creating, and exploring every day.
  • Character. There are many areas in which I hope God will cause my spirit to grow. Most importantly, though, I want to be kind, honest, and fully-engaged.

     These are the four cardinal directions on the compass of my life's purpose. What are yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment