Tuesday, May 20, 2014

21 Days: You're Invited!

(Via Craig Owens)
     "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." ~ Will Durant, in summary of a portion of Aristotle's Ethics.

     There are so many of us who have an abundance of unfulfilled ideas, dreams, and projects. We think that we don't have the time to actualize those schemes, and yet, upon closer examination, it becomes clear that hours of our days are spent unproductively. We then resolve to manage our days more efficiently, and start the next morning determined not to let time escape us.

     We end the day, however, feeling exhausted and discouraged. We find either that we did not accomplish as much as we had planned, or that we are so drained by the effort that we lose our former motivation. In fact, it seems that much of U. S. American society is primarily characterized by just such a lethargy. Where is our energy? Where is our passion, our drive?

     Of the factors that contribute to this deadly ennui, I believe that the two most important are excessive luxury and broken relationships. By excessive luxury, I simply mean that we aren't consistently faced with the challenges that satisfy our human need for testing and growth. Prolonged ease leaves us feeling listless and unfulfilled. In turn, the broken relationships that enervate our spirits are those between us and God, others, and ourselves. These connections are so central to our essence that when they are unhealthy, our souls* are as sluggish as our bodies are when starved or dehydrated.

      If we want to accomplish anything, we must address these two energy-sappers. In light of that, dear reader, you're invited to join me in a 21 Day Challenge! Please feel free to choose any goals that you'd like, large or small, and together we'll attempt to build good habits each day for three weeks.

     I'll be updating this blog periodically on my progress. If you would also consider sharing your experience through comments or a blog of your own, I know that we would all benefit from it. Working together will give us extra accountability and motivation. I look forward to hearing your stories!

      Today is the first day of my challenge, and I have decided to focus on each of the three core relationships mentioned above. These are areas in which I have struggled for many, many years. I have had many false starts, but this time I've decided to take the following small, but intentional, steps:

  • Praying and reading the Bible daily. Nothing is more life-giving than communing with God. I am going to try studying the same passage each day for a week, because sometimes it takes me a while to truly absorb the message. Is it the same for you, reader, or do you find that you are able to soak up meaning in a single session?
  • Writing 21 character sketches. People are so fascinating, beautiful, and valuable. Often, though, I don't appreciate their worth. It's a bit of a meager start, but I hope that setting aside time to study individuals will help to turn my focus outward. Is there anyone in your life whom you take for granted?
  • Eating only when I am hungry, and exercising for at least 20 minutes per day. Taking care of our physical forms is not only ethically responsible but also immensely practical, since a well-functioning body is crucial to maintaining the energy we need. Changing the world takes verve, people.
   
      Which habits will you build during your 21 Day Challenge? Why do you think we sometimes lack drive? If you plan to track your progress on a blog or some other platform, please give us a link in the comments so that we can follow along! 

Best,

L.


*Here's a curious little sidenote: The Romans called the soul the animus, or life force. If I understand it correctly, certain Far Eastern philosophies (such as Taoism) also refer to the soul as the "energy" of a person. Though I do not agree with these philosophies in many respects, it's interesting to observe how many different cultures have historically recognized the healthy soul as the body's source of invigoration and energy. This would be a fun subject to research further!

3 comments:

  1. GO London. I would also love to read about your thoughts on the soul!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I aim to join you, my dear child. The plan is to eat like a mature adult (no more candy everyday) and run like a wild woman. Now that I have joined Live Journal, I am tempted to add that insanity to the mix but I had better not go overboard. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both, so much! I have so much research left to do on the soul, but hopefully one day I'll be able to articulate my views on it. I would love to hear more of your thoughts on it, too! That was such a great conversation that we had. Have you ever considered starting a blog?

    I'm so glad you're doing this with me, Madre! It has been so incredibly helpful. Can you believe we're four days in already? I also LOVED your first blog entry! So gorgeous. I can't wait to read further posts! :D

    Love you both! <3

    ReplyDelete